Tel: +1.740-633-3121

250 North ZaneHighway PO Box 38 Martins Ferry OH 43935 us

George Smith

George is the Warehouse Manager at the Cadiz location.  He has been with the company for a year.

The James C. Dawes Co. has been in business since 1941.  It was founded by James C. Dawes after he worked for Linde Division of Union Carbide Corporation in Pittsburgh, PA.  During the late 1930's, Linde wanted to set up a distributorship in the Ohio Valley and Dawes decided to open the James C. Dawes Co. in Martins Ferry, Ohio.


James W. Dawes took over the business in 1963 after his father, James C.,passed away.  James W. was a flight engineer during World War II and the Korean Conflict.  When he took over the business, he was ready to put his engineering, management, and organizational skills to work.  His wife, June Anne, joined him as the company's bookkeeper.


The couple had three sons,and they all helped their parents with the business.  Their oldest son, Mike, went to work full time in the steel industry after graduating from the Hobart Institute.  The middle son, David, became a welding engineer and eventually became the head of the welding department at Babcock and Wilcox in Barberton, Ohio.  Their youngest son, Brian, went to school at Belmont College  and then to the Hobart Institute while working at James C. Dawes Co.  Brian spent a year and a half learning everything he could about welding techniques, troubleshooting, and repair at the Hobart Institute.  Six months after returning to Martins Ferry, his father passed away.  Brian was only 22 at the time.  


​Brian knew it was "do or die" time for the company.  Some employees and customers left because they were unsure the 22 year old and his mother would be able to keep the business running. Brian was confident they could be successful because of all the training and knowledge he gained from his father. He also had some help from the members of NWSA(now GAWDA).


Today the company is still growing despite the shutdown of the local steel mills.  Brian is expanding the services the company offers to include many areas of the gas and oil business.


James C. Dawes Co. is proud to be the only independent and locally owned welding supply business in the Ohio Valley.


Mike Markus

Mike is a part-time salesman for the company.  He retired after 42 years at James C. Dawes. He works on the weekends and when others go on vacation.

​Frank Brzney

Frank is the accountant for the James C. Dawes Co. He has been with the company for 6 years.

Rebecca Kinsey

Rebecca is a bookkeeper/secretary for the company.  She works in accounts receivable, answers the phones, and researches new vendors.  She is the 4th generation Dawes to work at the company. She has been with the company for 3 years.

Donna Gottardi

Donna is the bookkeeper for the company.  She is in charge of accounts payable, taxes, and employee payroll. She has been with the company for 7 years.

Stephen Kelner

Chuck Bennett

Tom Zambori

Stephen, Chuck, and Tom are the drivers at the James C. Dawes Co.  They make deliveries Monday through Friday to customer all over the Ohio Valley.  They deliver to Carrollton, Benwood, Shadyside, East Liverpool, Weirton, Dallas Pike, Woodsfield, and many places in between on a weekly basis. All of our drivers have their CDL and are trained in handling hazardous materials.  

Stephen has been with the company for 7 years. Chuck has been with the company for 4 years.

And Tom has been with the company for a year.

Jim Bartrug

Jim is the Plant Manager for the James C. Dawes Co.  He is in charge of filling cylinders, loading and unloading trucks, calling customers for new orders, and overseeing the two drivers.  Jim has been with the company for 38 years.

Ed Pack

Ed is the Inside Salesman for the company.  He works with our customers every day.  He takes orders for our customers, prepares merchandise for delivery, and orders merchandise.  Ed has been with the company for 4 years.

Our Team

Brian Dawes

Brian is the current Owner and President of the company.  He is the 3rd generation of Dawes to work for the company.  He has been with the company for 48 years. (He started at age 12)

The James C. Dawes Co. has been in business since 1941.  It was founded by James C. Dawes after he worked for Linde Division of Union Carbide Corporation in Pittsburgh, PA.  During the late 1930's, Linde wanted to set up a distributorship in the Ohio Valley and Dawes decided to open the James C. Dawes Co. in Martins Ferry, Ohio.


James W. Dawes took over the business in 1961 after his father, James C.,passed away.  James W. was a flight engineer during World War II and the Korean Conflict.  When he took over the business, he was ready to put his engineering, management, and organizational skills to work.  His wife, June Anne, joined him as the company's bookkeeper.


The couple had three sons,and they all helped their parents with the business.  Their oldest son, Mike, went to work full time in the steel industry after graduating from the Hobart Institute.  The middle son, David, became a welding engineer and eventually became the head of the welding department at Babcock and Wilcox in Barberton, Ohio.  Their youngest son, Brian, went to school at Belmont College  and then to the Hobart Institute while working at James C. Dawes Co.  Brian spent a year and a half learning everything he could about welding techniques, troubleshooting, and repair at the Hobart Institute.  Six months after returning to Martins Ferry, his father passed away.  Brian was only 22 at the time.  


​Brian knew it was "do or die" time for the company.  Some employees and customers left because they were unsure the 22 year old and his mother would be able to keep the business running. Brian was confident they could be successful because of all the training and knowledge he gained from his father. He also had some help from the members of NWSA(now GAWDA).


Today the company is still growing despite the shutdown of the local steel mills.  Brian is expanding the services the company offers to include many areas of the gas and oil business.


James C. Dawes Co. is proud to be the only independent and locally owned welding supply business in the Ohio Valley.


​Company history